Thursday 11 October 2012

The Playdate - Louise Millar

I was given this to read and review for a forum and am so glad as I thought the book was excellent. 

At first I thought it was going to be a typical chick-lit book (just general escapism) but I was surprised to find early on that I was beginning to doubt the front these women were putting on and behind each of them I thought there was a terrible secret. It is based on the lives of 3 neighbours (& their partners and children) and their relationships with each other. 


One is a single mum with a child who has recovered from a couple of heart operations, another has only just moved in but appears to have odd behaviour (brought on by something which happened in the past) and the third is a married American women with 3 children. I can acknowledge, having moved around a lot, the feeling of being alone yet being surrounded by people. 


I also really like the way it is written from the viewpoint of the three main characters.


I have just found out that this is her first novel so am going to be on the look out for more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment